Concealed Handgun Unit

The Concealed Handgun Unit administers and manages all aspects of applying for and the issuance of concealed carry licenses. The Unit is responsible for investigating applicants and issuing concealed handgun licenses to those who meet the legal standards set by the ORS. The Unit monitors existing licenses and, when necessary, revokes licenses for reason consistent with the law.

The Concealed Handgun Unit processes renewal notifications on a monthly basis and responds to questions from the public regarding the application process and other concealed carry related issues. A secondary function of the Concealed Handgun Unit is the issuance of Expedited Court Access ID cards. These ID Cards are issued as a courtesy to people who regularly need access to the Multnomah County Courthouse for their employment.

Walk-in hours for Renewals, Reinstatements, Transfer/Renewals and Address Changes:
  • Monday 08:00 am - 11:00 am
  • Tuesday 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
  • Thursday 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

*NEW* Online Concealed Handgun Course

The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office offers an online option for those who want to apply for their CHL. Our CHL Prep course provides the relevant and practical information you need to not only satisfy the education requirements necessary to get your license, but also to help you determine if carrying a concealed handgun is right for you!

It's easy to start this process. Go to Oregon CHL Prep, create an account, register for the class and pay electronically.

The course covers:
  • CHL requirements
  • Weapons safety and storage
  • Methods of concealment
  • Use of force
Test questions ensure that you understand the material before moving on to the next section.

After completing the course, you can print your certificate immediately!

Once you have your certificate, the process for getting a concealed handgun license will vary by the county that you live in.

Alarms Unit

The False Alarm Reduction Program regulates burglary and robbery alarms in unincorporated Multnomah County and through collaborative contracts with East Multnomah County cities. Alarm regulation increases the probability that police respond to a valid alarm, saving scarce Public Safety resources. False alarm penalties promote good equipment maintenance technology. False alarm response is a nonproductive use of police time and resources. Current and valid permits as well as properly functioning alarms promote safety through quick response. Citizens using alarms partner with police to promote safety in their community.Alarm Application and Fee Schedule

OLCC Licenses

The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office is responsible for reviewing new OLCC license requests, annual renewal of existing OLCC and temporary special event licenses for businesses and events in unincorporated Multnomah County.


The Multnomah County Sheriff is the Chief Local Law Enforcement Official of Multnomah County and therefore, the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office is responsible for accepting and maintaining copies of various ATF forms as required by the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives. These include:

  • Application for Tax Paid Transfer and Registration of Firearm.
  • Application for Tax Exempt Transfer and Registration of Firearm.
  • Report of Multiple Sale or Other Disposition of Pistols and Revolvers.
  • Application to Make and Register a Firearm.
  • Application for Federal Firearms License.

Expedited Courthouse Access

Expedited Court Access cards are available for Multnomah County and District Attorney Staff, legal associates, attorneys in good standing with the Oregon State Bar and independent court vendors. Expedited court access cards permit certain individuals expedited access into the Multnomah County Courthouse. Requests for these cards are processed by the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office Concealed Handgun Unit.

Frequently Asked Questions

Expedited Court Access cards are available for Multnomah County and District Attorney Staff, legal associates, attorneys in good standing with the Oregon State Bar, and independent court vendors. The following documents provide necessary application details, forms and fees:Hours of Operation for new applications, reinstatements and renewals (WALK-INS ONLY):
Monday 8:00 am - 11:00 am
Tuesday 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
Thursday 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

The following resources are available to assist you in obtaining a Concealed Handgun License:

Installing or activating an alarm system in your home or business is a very important step in crime prevention and protecting your home and family. The next step is to comply with local ordinances by obtaining an alarm permit to operate your system. Below is a list of resources to help you locate the appropriate ordinances, along with an alarm application and fee schedule. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact us by email at, or by calling 503-988-0511.

Multnomah County

Serving alarm users in Fairview, Gresham, Maywood Park, Troutdale, Wood Village and Unincorporated Multnomah County.

City of Portland

For alarm users within the Portland city limits: City of Portland Alarm Information

New Application - $65.00
Renewal License - $50.00
Transfer Fee - $30.00
Transfer and Renewal - $65.00
Address Change and Replacement - $15.00

Fees are non-refundable. Only exact cash, check, money order, VISA/MASTERCARD, Debit/Credit.

Complete the application and come to the office during our walk in times. An expired CHL can be renewed.

  • Monday 8:00 am - 11:00 am
  • Tuesday 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm
  • Thursday 1:00 pm - 4:00 pm

It is up to the CHL holder to know their expiration date and renew before it expires.

No. At this time, renewal applications are accepted on a first come, first served basis at 4735 E Burnside St, Portland, Oregon during the days and times listed above.

No. Your valid or expired concealed handgun license is proof that you attended a handgun safety course.

Active military personnel who are deployed are no longer expected to renew in person. You may mail your application with a copy of your orders and deployment papers and we will mail your permit to either your Multnomah County address of record, or your military mailing address. Your CHL must be valid at the time you renew - it cannot be expired.

If you moved within Multnomah County or Washington State, you must first change your address with the Department of Motor Vehicles. Once that is completed, you may submit an application for an address change and pay the $15 fee. You can come in during renewal hours (listed above) and you will be given a new permit at that time. Or you can send in the application, along with a check for $15 and a copy of your driver's license with the new address. The address change will be processed and a new card will be sent to you in the mail.

The Concealed Handgun License is an Oregon Permit, but it is administered in the county you reside in. When you change your DMV license you need to change your CHL so that both addresses are the same. This is a Transfer and Renewal. You may come in during renewal walk in times and bring a completed application. You will also need your concealed permit from the other county and your driver's license (if you have changed your DMV online and don't have your sticker yet, we can still process your application as the change of address in DMV is immediate, when done online).