The Multnomah County Sheriff's Office is taking proactive steps and implementing temporary measures to ensure the health and safety of our workforce and those we serve during this health emergency, and to preserve long-term viability of law enforcement and jail operations in the county. We are committed to serving our entire county and will continue to work with our law enforcement and criminal justice partners to reduce the spread of COVID-19 while protecting the health and safety of our community and meeting the needs of our criminal justice system. Each unit at MCSO is working, and we are responding to all calls for service. All investigations are continuing.
**Please note that this response is based on what is currently known about COVID-19. We will update this page as additional information becomes available.**
- Reporting a crime by phone is encouraged. When possible and appropriate, deputies may handle report taking with community members by phone.
- The Troutdale Sheriff's Operations Center (234 SW Kendall Ct.) remains open.
- MCSO's processing of civil matters continues with the exception of evictions, in adherence with state and federal guidance. All protective orders are being served.
- Law enforcement deputies have been given additional discretion to reduce the strain on the criminal justice system. When appropriate, deputies can elect to issue a citation requiring a person to appear in court at a later date. This does not apply to those arrested on more serious charges, such as domestic violence, sex crimes, and violent person crimes.
- Corrections Health has been screening for travel and COVID-19 symptoms, including any respiratory complaint, on every jail entry for at least the first 14 days of incarceration.
- Individuals with underlying health conditions, more than 60 years old, insulin-dependent or diabetic, diagnosed with cardiovascular disease or are pregnant are being screened for 30 days.
- MCSO's Classification Unit set up specialized housing modules to ensure Corrections Health staff can screen and watch for symptoms over an incubation period before placing individuals in an open dorm.
- An additional dorm at Multnomah County Inverness Jail opened March 13 to allow for better implementation of social distancing guidelines.
- All inmate programs have temporarily been canceled and social visitation postponed.
- Staff is conducting enhanced facility cleaning and following infectious disease protocols.
- Criminal justice partners have been reducing the jail population through early release for individuals with less than 14 days remaining on sentences or release to enhanced pretrial supervision.
- To reduce the strain on the criminal justice system, when appropriate, law enforcement officers can elect to issue a criminal citation requiring a person to appear in court at a later date.
- Corrections deputies and staff receive daily updates from supervisors in virtual roll calls prior to shifts, and command staff have provided employees with information on interim policy and procedure changes.
- Jail lobby access has been limited at both facilities as prevention efforts continue to implemented to mitigate risk to jail populations. Social visitation has been suspended until further notice at the facility and through the lobby kiosks. Professional and legal access will continue at this time.
- Single transactions related to adult in custody services will still be available through the lobby. This includes use of the TouchPay kiosk for commissary and telephone account deposits.
- Court dates for individuals who have been sentenced to Turn Self In (TSI) have been postponed and report dates are being rescheduled.
- Multnomah Building Sheriff's Administrative Office (501 SE Hawthorne Blvd, Suite 350) reception is closed. The public is encouraged to call the general business line, (503) 988-4300 between 8 a.m. and 5 p.m. Monday - Friday. For emergencies, call 911 and for non-emergencies, 503 823 3333.
- All walk-in Sex Offender Registrations are closed until further notice. Please call the Sheriff's Office for an over-the-phone registration option at (541) 933-5675 on Wednesday from 10 a.m. to 2 p.m.
- Business Premises Check: The Business Premises Check Program has ended.