The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office is accepting voluntary surveillance camera registrations from businesses and community members as a proactive approach to aid in public safety and criminal investigations.
Knowing ahead of time where cameras exist can save investigative time and resources when a crime occurs in your neighborhood and may help solve and prevent crime. This police and community partnership has been successful in other cities and can help identify suspects, recover stolen property and solve crimes.
Registration of your home or business surveillance camera is completely voluntary and can be removed at any time. Registering a surveillance camera with the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office does not mean police have automatic access or live feeds to your system; it simply means officers and detectives know where cameras are located so they may contact you to request access to the images.
The goal of the Camera Registry program is to deter crime and promote public safety through collaboration between the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office and the community we serve. Accordingly, all camera registrants agree to the following terms and conditions: Registration is entirely voluntary.
The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office will not post your personal information online. By registering your security camera with the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office, however, you understand that your personal information may be disclosed in response to a request made under Oregon’s Public Records laws or under a lawfully issued subpoena.. If there is a crime, an incident or a disturbance, in your neighborhood, the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office will look for security cameras that potentially may have captured evidence of the activity. The Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office may contact you and request access to the camera to view the footage. You may always deny a request to view your camera or footage. However, a warrant may be requested to obtain this information. If there is evidence of a crime or law violation or other incident on your camera footage, you may potentially be called as a witness in the case.
- Registrant information is gathered for official use by the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office.
- If necessary, the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office will contact you directly, using the information provided on this site, to request the appropriate video surveillance footage.
- Any footage containing or related to criminal activity may be collected by the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office for use as evidence during any stage of a criminal proceeding.
- Under no circumstances shall registrants construe that they are acting as an agent and/or employee of Multnomah County and/or the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office
- Under no circumstances shall the Multnomah County Sheriff’s Office utilize any information obtained to view footage/feeds directly from cameras owned by registrants.
- If you would like to be removed from the camera registry program; you no longer own a video surveillance system; you move; or you would like to make any changes to your registration; contact call 503-988-0356 or email MCSOCRD@mcso.us
By clicking the "AGREE and SUBMIT